Friday, July 10, 2009

In a Stranger's Shoes, part 3

Read the previous part here.

They are waiting for me in the car. Who are they? I find the visiting card still lying on the table by the bed. I pick it up. It says:
Dr. Patrick Ackerman
Head of Department
Ashford Institute of Brain Research
Brussels.
The name doesn’t ring any bells. Brussels? Am I in Brussels?

The table has a lower shelf where a few books are stacked. I must look at them. A man like me, with a lot of questions like these can not rest until he finds the answers; and he leaves no stones unturned to unravel the mystery surrounding the strange circumstances he finds himself in. Perhaps the books would give me something to think about. My hands find their way into the shelf, removing the books on top because they are merely magazines published in Belgium; they could’ve been planted there to mislead me. I find a Bible in the stack. The thickest volume at the bottom of the pile is a directory, the Telephone Directory of Brussels: now I can find out if I really am in Brussels. I search my pockets: my cell phone is missing. I look around; if she has a cell phone, it must be somewhere. Finally I spot the note on the base unit of the land line: Press 0 to make calls, 9 for room service…

I hold the receiver against my ear and press 0, I hear the dial tone. I randomly open a page in the directory and dial the first number I see. I hear the ring from the other end; someone picks up; I hang up. I am in Brussels: the line connected without an STD code.

Why Brussels? Why have I been brought here? Who has brought me here?

Suddenly I hear a swish. I turn around to find a News Paper near the door. Apparently it’s Room Service.
Inside Europe, Brussels, dated 24th August 2007.
Fortunately it’s the English Edition, I can read. I pick it up from the floor; I hate it when people place agents of knowledge on the floor: they demand respect. I look through the first few pages: there are writings about the Politics, the Budget and stuff. And then I come to the local news page. My attention is drawn towards a particular article titled, American Citizen found dead in inscrutable circumstances in a room in The Crescent Hotel. I read through parts of it wherein the journalist describes that the victim was reportedly missing from his office in California for a week and was found in a room in the hotel in mysterious circumstances. The last line says,
The deceased was identified as Michael Baker.
I am Michael Baker.

Read the next part here.

3 comments:

Sukesh Kumar said...

poor chap!! marne ke baad bhi tension mein hai

Abhishek said...

:D reminds me of "just like heaven"... in that movie Reese Witherspoon forgets that she's not alive. :D

Sidjustice21 said...

@readers, thanks for the comments.